Thursday, December 15, 2016

“Nurturing Joy”



“Nurturing Joy”
Joy (part 3)

Philippians is known as The Epistle of Joy. How extraordinary it is that this letter was written my Paul while he was in prison.  It would be easier to understand the emphasis on joy if Paul was in a wonderful environment, but the combination of “joy” and “prison” should make us take a close look at what is going on here.  How can Paul be full of joy in such a situation?  And if Paul has joy in his circumstances, what excuse do I have to not have joy in mine? Philippians has a lot to teach us about joy, but here I will just draw out five elements of Paul’s joy that we find in Philippians 1:3-8.  If you take hold of these elements, I believe you will find joy being nurtured in your own soul.

[3] I thank my God in all my remembrance of you, [4] always in every prayer of mine for you all making my prayer with joy, [5] because of your partnership in the gospel from the first day until now. [6] And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Jesus Christ. [7] It is right for me to feel this way about you all, because I hold you in my heart, for you are all partakers with me of grace, both in my imprisonment and in the defense and confirmation of the gospel. [8] For God is my witness, how I yearn for you all with the affection of Christ Jesus. (Philippians 1:3-8)

The Elements of Paul’s Joy

       the joy of recollection

[3] I thank my God in all my remembrance of you

There are negatives in life and we can be tempted to dwell on those things.  Some of us are really good at rehearsing the negatives. We can become so good at it that our negative experiences actually become our identity. This can feed despair and depression, and it crushes joy. But there are also positives.  Paul chose to remember what God had done, especially in relation to the Philippian church.  Joy in your life can be nurtured as you choose to remember what God has done for you, in you, through you, and around you.  Recollection can nurture joy.

       the joy of intercession

[4] always in every prayer of mine for you all making my prayer with joy…

Here we are thinking of prayer, and specifically prayer that intercedes for others.  This is praying that God would bless others.  This kind of praying moves us away from being self-absorbed, which can diminish our joy, and moves our concern toward others, nurturing our own joy in the process.

       the joy of participation

[5] because of your partnership in the gospel from the first day until now.

The word for “partnership” here is the Greek word koinonia.  This is a loving fellowship with other believers in ways that advances the work of the gospel.  This can involve being in ministry together, giving financially to ministries, and sharing the gospel with others.  This serving alongside of others to advance the gospel has a joy nurturing effect as it focuses us on the needs of others and the work of God.

       the joy of anticipation

[6] And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Jesus Christ.

Joy can be robbed from us when we are anxious about the future.  The joy of anticipation chooses to focus on what God is doing and will do in the future.  It takes hold of the promises of God. Romans 8:31-39 is a great place to start in gaining such hopeful anticipation.

       the joy of affection

[7] It is right for me to feel this way about you all, because I hold you in my heart, for you are all partakers with me of grace, both in my imprisonment and in the defense and confirmation of the gospel. [8] For God is my witness, how I yearn for you all with the affection of Christ Jesus.

Here we simply have the affection that should exist among the people of God, especially within a local church. This can be the affection of words and looks and touch.  I hope you have experienced something like this.  You come into a worship gathering or a Bible study or a small group meeting, and you feel joy being nurtured in you by the affection you receive.  I believe that the Holy Spirit comes alongside of such affection to do the work of nurturing joy among the people of God.


In summary, the fellowship of God’s people should be a fellowship of joy.  We should experience the Spirit given joy which has joyous memories and joyous recollections. It rejoices in praying on the behalf of others. It rejoices over those who have come alongside of us. It also rejoices in response to what God is doing and will do in the lives of others. And last, but certainly not least, it rejoices over a shared affection.

No comments:

Post a Comment